Friday, September 26, 2008

The Greatest Movies of All Time

Empire Magazine has compiled a list of the 'Top 500 Greatest Movies of All Time'. It’s a mixture of the public vote and the opinions of top industry folk, which has turned out what looks like a pretty good, if mostly predictable, list.

Most people that know me won’t be surprised that I’m happy that the Godfather is on top, and really happy that Empire Strikes back is in the top three. I’m a big fan of Raiders of the Lost Ark but I think number two is maybe a little high. The same goes for Jaws at number five.

I’ve come to expect that one of my least favourite films, Raging Bull (11th), will always be high on list like this. I maintain that both the film and DeNiro are overrated but I’m clearly in the minority. However, I was very surprised to see Fight Club squeeze into the top ten. Really? That high? I mean, I enjoyed the film, am a big fan of both Brad Pitt and Edward Norton, but it doesn’t get anywhere near my top ten. A great twist does not make a great film.

Of course the problem with writing a post like this is that I now feel obliged to give my top ten. My problem with doing this is that the list I make right now will not be the same as the list I make tomorrow morning. I often get round this problem during pub conversations by giving a list in no particular order and then cheating by grouping the original Star Wars Trilogy as one entry.

I realise that this is a cop out, so here, just for you, is my top ten films of all time as of 2pm on a sunny Friday afternoon in September:

1. The Godfather
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. The Departed
5. LA Confidential
6. Rope
7. The Sting
8. Back to the Future
9. Anchorman
10. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Another problem I have with compiling a list like this is that I’m sure there are loads of great films that I’ve forgotten to consider. If you would like to point out a glaringly obvious oversight on my part, or just fancy sharing your own top ten, let me know.

No comments: