Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman 1925-2008

I don’t think myself a particularly cold individual, but it’s very rare that I find myself truly sad when I hear about the death of a celebrity. Unfortunately for me, this is one of those occasions.

It would be a considerable understatement to say that Paul Newman never gave a bad performance. He was excellent in every film I every saw him in, from ‘The Hustler’ to ‘The Road to Predition’. He was even outstanding as the voice of Doc Hudson in ‘Cars’.

Considering his remarkable career it is almost unbelievable that he did not win an Academy Award until 1987. However, it is fitting that he won it for reprising one of his greatest characters, Fast Eddie Felson, in the ‘Colour of Money’. Of course, if it had been up to me, he’d have won at least five best actor gongs.

While there are so many greats to choose from, my favourite Paul Newman films are the two he starred in with Robert Redford, one of the very few people that are comparable to him in terms of talent. I know this isn’t exactly a controversial choice but ‘The Sting’ and ‘Butch and Sundance’ are, in my opinion, amongst the greatest movies ever made and are just two of the reasons why my heart is a little heavy this evening.

No comments: