Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Bayhem under fire

I know that Mark Kermode can come across as a little pretentious, but I usually find him to be one of the best judges of whether or not a film is good or bad.

I also know that he's a man who loves a really good action movie, which probably explains why he launches a tirade against all things 'Michael Bay' in his latest video blog:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/2008/10/review_eagle_eye.html

Now I'm as guilty as the next person of enjoying Bad Boys and Transformers, so perhaps it makes me a bit hypocritical to agree with Mark on this one, but I think he has a good point to make here.

While I love the excitement and explosions, the problem here is that they are now being used at the expense of plot, rather than in addition to it. If we're not careful we're in danger of returning to the 80's style of action film which, with a few exceptions, was not a good experience.

But I may well be in the minority. Last I heard, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift made over $150million...

No comments: