Monday, November 24, 2008

Horror, I just don’t get it.

To an extent I’ve just said all I need to say in the headline to this post but, luckily for you, I’ll soldier on and exhaust the point anyway.

I’d like to think that I’m someone who enjoys a little bit of everything when it comes to films. I can find something to like in almost any genre, even the really pretentious ones…

However, horror just never appealed to me. If I’m honest I suppose it’s because I think that most horror films are badly written, badly made, badly acted and, on the whole, just plain bad.

I never understood why George A Romero got so much praise for those nonsense Day/Dawn/Diary of the Dead movies, I never liked Freddie Kruger and you’ll never catch me anywhere near a Saw film.

The reason behind this post is that the lady in my life is a big fan of horror movies and in recent months I have been subjected to more than at any other time in my life, which might just be the reason behind my disliking – I never watched it when I was young.

Horror movies were never part of my childhood or adolescence. When I started loving films I was watching action, comedy, drama etc. I was probably already well over 20 years old when I watched my first real horror film.

So if one of my friends had somehow gotten a hold of Hellraiser when we were teenagers, would I be queuing up to watch Jigsaw and his nasty traps along with so many others? Maybe, but probably not.

Of course it is now necessary for me to point out my own hypocrisy by saying that it is possible that I have enjoyed some horror movies.

I really enjoyed the first two Scream films. However, I’m not sure they even count as they are more of a lampooning of the horror genre (at least I think so).

I’m also quite a big fan of vampire movies. Although I’m fairly sure that they also don't necessarily count as I’m not sure that films like Interview with a Vampire, Blade, Lost Boys or Buffy can even be classified as horror.

Then again, maybe they can. Perhaps I just class horror movies as gory films that I don’t like.

Either way, if that woman ever forces me to watch another Rob Zombie film then I might be driven to acts of mindless violence!

4 comments:

Head Hero said...

Never been big on horror myself. I can watch old horror films because they just make me laugh, but newer ones make me want to cringe.

Anonymous said...

That woman seems to remember that you were quite impressed with The Shining. Classic Horror at its best. No?!

Matt said...

The lovely (and might I add, beautiful) lady is absolutely correct, I did like the Shining.

And might I add my thanks to her for introducing me to such a wonderful piece of cinema.

Any chance that gets me off the hook?

Anonymous said...

Might as well hawk the new blog here.... I pretty much feel your pain, as I'm a bigger action or comedy movie guy, but a well done horror movie, which means either scary or thought provoking can be good, ala Night of the Living Dead or Dawn of the Dead.