Monday, April 27, 2009

The Apatow Bunch

I’m a big fan of the ‘Apatow Bunch’*. I’m referring, of course to the bunch of very funny guys - Seth Rogan, Judd Apatow, Paul Rudd, Bill Hader, Jonah Hill et al – who over the last few years have shown up in a bunch of great comedies that, more often than not, include some form of involvement from Judd Apatow.

Not only is this a really talented group of comedians, but they have managed to find a formula for making comedies that can appeal to everyone. For example, Knocked Up should, by all accounts, be described as a romantic comedy and therefore despised by all men. However, there’s enough guy humour running through it to keep me entertained. It is the perfect date movie.

However, not content with making the men and women laugh, they always through in some great lines for the geeks as well. There’s nothing a geek likes to see more than an in-joke. It makes us feel superior because we get a joke that some people in the audience won’t have understood because they don’t get the reference. You can see a great example of this if you watch I Love You Man staring Rudd and Segal, which came out in the UK last week. Just watch out for the Princess Bride reference – you’ll love it.

Even if you’re not a Princess Bride fan (ie soulless), you should go see it anyway because it’s just plain hilarious.

Amusingly enough I don’t think Judd Apatow had anything to do with I Love You Man, but it’s in the same style and stars two of his boys, so it counts as a ‘Bunch Movie’ as far as I’m concerned.

The only recent film by ‘The Bunch’ that I avoided in recent times was Pineapple Express. Stoner humour just doesn’t do it for me (that’s right, you heard me correctly Big Lebowski), and from what I understand I haven’t missed anything. Still, one dog out of around 15 movies isn’t so bad.


*The terms ‘Apatow Bunch’, ‘Bunch Movie’ and ‘The Bunch’ are registered trademarks of the Films and Things corporation (as if anyone cares!)

1 comment:

Head Hero said...

I haven't seen Pineapple Express either.

"Anybody wants a peanut?"
Yeah, good laughs.

And another geek note, Jon Favreau, the guy who was thrown up on, is the director of Iron Man. Sweet.

I am looking forward to Funny People a lot.