Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Film for all ages?

Unsurprisingly a lot of film blogs are focusing on Christmas movies at the moment, with folk discussing the best, the worst, the funniest and the most random.

While I love Christmas films as much as anyone, these conversations do often frustrate me because there is an assumption that you can watch whatever film you want at this time of year. For many people, including myself, it's simply not true.

For example - My Christmas is celebrated at my mother's house by 4 generations of our family. There are no children (yet!) but our ages range from 27 (me) to 94 (my great-grandmother).

As wonderful as it is to have the whole family in attendance at this time of year, have you ever tried finding a movie to suit everyone's tastes? It's a nightmare!

For a start you can forget Die Hard or Leathal Weapon because the oldies don't like them. They also don't like comedies like Uncle Buck or National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (my personal favourite) because they're too silly. You can get them to watch White Christmas, which is fine with me, but then some of the other younger folk get bored. I'm OK with a lot of the Christmas classics but there are a lot of musicals that I just can't stand.

Where does that leave us? Well you can forget regular TV becuase, here in the UK, it's all repeats and dreadful Christmas specials. In fact the only watchable programmes or films that they put on the TV always have a surprise sex scene thrown in just to embarrass you in front of your Grandmother when you least expect it!

So I need help people. What films can I put on at Christmas that will entertain me as much as the rest of my family? It doesn't have to have a Christmas theme, just anything that really appeals to all ages.

Please help, my sanity depends on it.

No comments: