Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I've never read a Sherlock Holmes novel, so I can't claim to be a real fan of the great detective. However, the purist that lurks within me is more than a little shocked by the first screen shots of the new film directed by Guy Ritchie.

This first one is OK...


But I'm a little concerned by this one...




Sherlock Holmes fighting with his shirt off? It doesn't seem quite right to me. Surely he could beat his opponent into submission using only his remarkable intelligence and cunning wit without needing to resort to physical violence.

I have never been overly confident that Ritchie is a good enough film maker to do Sherlock Holmes justice. However, I am more than confident in Robert Downey Jr's talent as an actor, so perhaps this might just work.

1 comment:

Head Hero said...

I believe this is a new take on SHerlock Holmes, making him smart in both thinking and fighting. We will have to see the movie to actually know how this will work.